Friday, July 23, 2010

First review of my book

Adjunct professor Wesley Britton wrote the first review of my book and he didn’t like it:
It’s difficult to pin down the intended audience for this collection of capsule movie reviews. It’s clearly not researchers. I’m not sure it’s film buffs either. In fact, author Cory Hamblin candidly admits he’s not a film expert, “just a guy from a small town who enjoys watching movies.” Admitting his major source is his aunt’s DVD collection, he adds that he’s not interested in films with political messages. “Most Americans from small towns . . . are just looking to have an enjoyable experience at the movies. What we would like to see are more movies with positive portrayals of America, our military, families, men, and God.” Illustrating the informal nature of his reviews, Hamblin states the title of the book draws from his “online moniker”: “Serket is the name of one of the earliest recorded Egyptian kings . . . it has no direct correlation to the contents of the book.”

Hamblin also stated his choice of movies had much to do with the amount of trivia he could find on them, and trivia is really what his book is all about. The “commentary” is about as long as your average Tweet.

This actually seems like a mild critique of my book, because he mainly just disagrees with the title and my background. My intended audience is anyone who loves watching movies and enjoys learning trivia. I hope some people will discover a movie that they weren’t aware of. I wanted my book to have a unique title and that is why I chose “Serket’s Movies.” I agree that I should have done more commentary, perhaps a better subtitle would have been “summaries and trivia.” I can’t help that I don’t have any previous experience in the film industry, but my intention was to provide a new approach to looking at movies.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home