Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Donnie Darko (2001)

This is a solid movie. During the election season in 1988, a jet engine crashes into the room of a teenage boy. Donnie (Jake Gyllenhaal) happened to be sleep walking at the time which saved his life. To cope with depression, he takes prescription pills but starts hallucinating while on them. In his visions he sees and hears a man (James Duval) wearing an eerie mask of a dark rabbit. The apparition tells Donnie that the world will end in one month, and convinces him to commit a few acts of vandalism.

The film was shot in 28 days. "Mad World" is a song from British band Tears for Fears and it was remade by composers Michael Andrews and Gary Jules for the film. The movie was released about 6 weeks after the September 11th attacks. The movie had a poor performance at the box office, not quite breaking even financially, but about a year later it started to gain a cult following and became more popular. A sequel was released in 2009 called S. Darko, which is about Donnie's younger sister Sam.

2 Comments:

At 9/13/2010 4:37 PM, Blogger Green said...

This is one I had to watch twice before I could really appreciate. Now it's a movie I consider a classic.

 
At 9/13/2010 7:53 PM, Blogger Serket said...

I saw it several years ago (perhaps when it first came up) and I was expecting it to be creepy like a horror, but it really wasn't. The time twist at the end is interesting to think about.

Thanks for continuing to read my blog, I know I haven't been updating it as much lately.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home